Volcano Fried Rice 🌋 (with Kimchi & Gochujang)
Korean Volcano Fried Rice: A new style fried rice from Korea! Savory and spicy kimchi fried rice with gochujang (Korean red chili paste). It is so called "volcano fried rice" as it resemble a volcano mountain sitting on an cheesy egg bath - with a gooey egg mixture that is poured over the rice and create the image of lava pouring out of a volcano!
INGREDIENTS (for 2 px):
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup kimchi
2 TBS gochujang paste
Beef slice (chopped)
1/2 cup green peas
2 TBS sesame oil (divide into 2)
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/2 red bell pepper
1 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS mirin
Black sesame seed (roasted)
1. Start with mixing the spicy sauce (gochujang, mirin and soy sauce). Set aside to be use later. Whisk all the eggs and set aside.
2. Now, let's cook the Kimchi fried rice! Heat up your cooking skillet add in 1 TBS sesame oil (leave the remaining for later) and stir fry the chopped beef slice for 5 - 8 minutes. Add in garlic and fry together for another 2 -3 minutes.
3. Then, add in red bell pepper. Fry for another 2 minutes.
Add in green peas , continue to fry until aromatic.
4. Next, add in kimchi in the middle. Stir fry until the kimchi sauce dried out. Then pour in the spicy sauce mixture we made earlier. Simmer under medium heat for 3 - 5 minutes.
5. Place the cooked rice and mix everything until combined.
Simple kimchi fried rice is done!
6. Transfer the fried rice into a bowl and press it down to let all the air out.
7. Get a clean skillet and flip the bowl over in the middle of the skillet.
8. Gently remove the bowl and use a small round spoon head to create a dent in the middle of the rice.
9. Create a pathway at the side of the rice to allow the egg mixture to poured down the skillet. Add the remaining sesame oil around the rice. Then, pour the egg mixture on top of the rice.
10. Put some shredded cheese on the rice and along the pathway. Sprinkle some roasted black sesame seeds and top the egg mixture around the rice with more shredded cheese.
11. Cover the skillet with a lid and let let the egg mixture cook for around 3 minutes under low - medium heat.
All done! Enjoy your cheesy volcano kimchi fried rice!
You can also add in some shredded seaweed (nori) on top of the rice to enhance the taste!