Tiana's Famous New Orleans Beignets (The Princess & The Frog)👸🏼🐸
The Princess & The Frogs: A 2009 American animated musical, fantasy, romantic comedy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The 49th Disney animated feature film, the film is loosely based on the novel The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker, which is in turn based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale "The Frog Prince". Set in the 1920s New Orleans, the film tells the story of a hardworking waitress named Tiana who dreams of opening her own restaurant. After kissing a prince who has been turned into a frog by an evil witch doctor, Tiana becomes a frog herself and must find a way to turn back into a human before it is too late.
330g all-purpose flour
7g dry activated yeast
8g vanilla powder
Honey & Icing sugar (for serving)
1. Place all-purpose flour into a big bowl. Then add in salt and sugar separately from the yeast. This is to prevent any inconsistency on the dough.
2. Mix the salt and sugar with the flour then mix the yeast with the flour and mix everything together until incorporated.
3. Next, add in milk and egg and mix until combined.
4. Then cover the bowl using a plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Let it rest for 15 - 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes, add in softened butter and knead until combined. Knead for at least 15 - 20 minutes. If the dough is still sticky, you can add in more flour while kneading. "Slap and fold" technique is my go-to kneading technique for a wet dough. It is very effective and it strengthen the dough rather quickly. After kneading, place the dough in the bowl and cover it with a plastic wrap or kitchen towel. Let it rest for 1 hour 20 minutes or until double in size.
6. Thanks to the yeast, the dough is now double in size. Let's run a poke test to tell whether the dough is ready for the oven. Lightly oil or flour your finger or knuckle then give a dough a gentle poke. If the dough springs back right away meaning it is not ready yet! Let it rest for few more minutes. If the dough springs back slowly and your prod leaves a small indentation (refer image below), then it's ready to go. Flatten the dough on a kneading board.
7. Sprinkle some flour on the dough and flatten it using a rolling pin.
8. Cut the dough into a small a square cubes.
7. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap or kitchen towel and let it rest again for at least 30 minutes.
7. Heat up some cooking oil and deep fry the dough until it turns golden brown. Remove excess oil using kitchen paper.
7. Place the fried dough on a plate and spread some honey on top of it. Finally, spread some icing sugar on top and serve.
Our simple Beignets is done! Yummy 😋