Spaghetti x Lumpiang Shanghai Cake 🍝🌯
Updated: Jul 5, 2021
Lumpiang Shanghai Cake: Pinoy-style birthday cake originally made of lumpiang & pancit bihon. I made mine with Spaghetti instead 😍 Lumpiang Shanghai is a Filipino deep-fried appetizer consisting of a mixture of giniling wrapped in a thin egg crepe. Lumpiang Shanghai is regarded as the most basic type of lumpia in Filipino cuisine and it is usually smaller and thinner than other lumpia variants.
LUMPIANG SHANGHAI INGREDIENTS:
400g minced chicken (you can use other type of meat as well)
1 carrot (shredded)
1/2 red bell pepper (cut in cubes)
1 TBS sesame oil
2 TBS oyster sauce
3 cloves garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
Spring roll wrappers
Green bell pepper (cut in cubes)
Sausages (reserve some for decoration)
4 cloves garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
Shredded cheese (for decoration)
CAKE ASSEMBLY MATERIAL:
Round cake pan (I use 6-inch round pan)
Bamboo leaves string
1. First, let's prepare our lumpiang shanghai. Put the minced chicken inside a bowl and add in garlics, onions, shredded carrots and red bell pepper. Mix everything together.
2. Add in sesame oil, oyster sauce, salt and pepper. Then add in 2 eggs. Combine together.
The filling is done! Time to wrap it up!
3. Put some of the fillings on the bottom of spring roll wrapper (refer image below).
4. Then wrap and roll it from the bottom. Spread some egg wash on the edges (left, right and top). Fold the left and right side and continue to roll up.
5. The lumpiang shanghai should be thin and long. You can make around 16 pcs of lumipang shanghai.
6. Heat up cooking oil on a pan and fry the lumpiang batch by batch until golden brown.
7. Our lumpiang shanghai is done! Put it on a fine mesh strainer to remove extra oil and cool it down. Set aside.
8. Now, let's prepare the spaghetti pasta. Put the spaghetti inside boiling water and add in 1 TBS of salt. The salt will seasons the pasta as it cooks and penetrates into the noodles.
9. Cook the Spaghetti acording to the package instruction (usually 12 minutes) or until al dente. Drain and set aside. Leave some of the Spaghetti boil water for the sauce later.
10. Next, stir fry the sausages and set aside.
11. Let's make the Spaghetti sauce. Fry some garlics until aromatic and add in green bell pepper and fry together.
12. Add in pasta sauce, salt & pepper to taste. Stir fry under medium heat for around 3 minutes. Then add in Spaghetti boil water and let it boil for 5 - 8 minutes.
13. Put some of the sausages into the sauce and mix until incorporated. Leave some sausages for decoration later.
14. Pour the sauce on the cooked spaghetti pasta and mix everything together. Set aside. leave some sauce for decoration later.
15. Now, it's time to assemble our Spaghetti x Lumpiang Shanghai cake! Get a round cake pan and put some of the Spaghetti inside.
16. Tie bamboo leaves string around the pan and leave some gap to insert the lumpiang. You can also use any kind of string or colorful ribbon to make it looks pretty. Before inserting the lumpiang, place the pan on a cake stand or a big plate.
17. This is how it looks like from top. Add in more spaghetti to fill up the top part.
18. Pour the remaining warm pasta sauce on top and shredded cheese. The cheese will melt on the warm sauce.
19. Finally, decorate the top part with sausages and we're done! Enjoy your meal!
What do you think about this pinoy-style birthday cake? This "birthday cake" is perfect for those who don't fancy sweet delicacies 🍰
Do let me know what food should I recreate next! See you again next time 😊