Recreating the iconic Strawberry Shortcake you can spotted simply everywhere in Anime!
Japanese Strawberry Shortcake (苺のショートケーキ): The Japanese version of shortcake was developed by the confectionary and restaurant chain, Fujiya (不二家) in the early 20th century. The entrepreneur of Fujiya travelled to the US and encountered the US version of strawberry shortcakes. When he returned from the US, he replaced the biscuit in the US version with sponge cake, as the softer texture of the cake was more suited to the Japanese palate.
CAKE INGREDIENTS (6-inch cake):
(I'm making Genoise cake instead of Sponge cake)
120g cake flour
120g brown sugar
A pinch of salt
1 TSP vanilla extract
50g melted unsalted butter
2 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS water
WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
2 + 1/2 cups heavy cream
4 TBS icing sugar
1. Preheat oven 170°C. Put eggs and sugar in a bowl. Using a double boiler method, place the bowl on top of a heated pan with water and whip about 10 minutes until the texture turns fluffy. When the water in the pan started to boil, turn off the heat and continue whipping for another 5 - 8 minutes.
2. Then, sieved the cake flour on top and mix thoroughly. Add in vanilla extract and continue to mix until combined.
3. Put some of the batter in the melted unsalted butter and mix. Then put the mixture back to the batter and mix again.
4. The batter is now ready. Get your 6-inch round baking pan ready (cover with non-stick baking sheet) and transfer the batter into the pan. Tap few times to let the air pockets out. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes in your pre-heated oven.
5. Chill the cake for 10 - 20 minutes in a room temperature. After fully chilled, slice the cake into 2 or 3 layers.
6. Now let's make the syrup. Very simple, heat up the pan and put in water and sugar until melted and incorporated.
7. Next, the whipped cream. Whip the heavy cream and add in sugar gradually until medium peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
8. Let's assemble the cake! Place the bottom layer of cake on a cake stand then brush the surface with syrup.
9. Then spread a thin layer of whipped cream evenly on the surface and place halved strawberries on top.
10. Spread whipped cream evenly and place another layer of cake on top. Repeat step 8 - 10 with the remaining layers.
11. Coat the whole cake with the remaining whipped cream with spatula or scraper.
To be honest I'm yet to master this coating skills so pardon my not-so-nice coating base 😢
Our cake is ready! You can decorate your Strawberry Shortcake however you want! 🍰
Let's eat the cake! Yumm 😋