Nigerian Jollof Rice with Beef & Vegetables | Cooking with Rice Cooker 🍚
Jollof Rice: An iconic dish from West Africa! Simmered in tomatoes, onions, peppers and some seasoning all in one pot. This dark-orange spicy rice dish can be eaten by itself, but also enjoyed along with other side dishes.
I have always wanted to cook African food. A very healthy cuisine, full of big flavors and contains many superfoods so it makes a perfect sense that its popularity is growing around the world! Jollof Rice is my first homemade African food and I look forward to cook more! ❤️
MAIN INGREDIENTS (for 3 - 4 px):
2 cups of rice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 onion (chopped)
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 chicken seasoning cube
1 TBS thyme
1/2 TBS curry powder
1 bay leaf
1/2 TBS salt
2 cups water
Tomatoes & bell pepper paste
*Sorry, I accidently deleted the image for the main ingredients 😭*
TOMATOES & BELL PEPPER PASTE INGREDIENTS (to be blended):
1 large red bell pepper
3 pcs tomatoes
1/2 big onion
1 scotch bonnet pepper (I do not have this ingredients in this recipe. you may use it if you have one)
BEEF & VEGETABLES INGREDIENTS:
3 pcs long bean
1 medium size carrot
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 cup green peas
1 Spring onion
2 TBS Butter (for cooking)
1. First, we are going to make the tomatoes & bell pepper paste. Blend onion, tomatoes and red bell pepper 3 minutes. You may put a bit of water in the blender machine.
2. Pour the mixture in a pan and let it simmer under medium low heat for a good 15 - 20 minutes. Set aside.
3. Now, to make the Jollof rice in a rice cooker. Very simple! Put some cooking oil in the rice cooker pan and cook until it turns golden brown. Then add in the tomato paste.
Cook for 15 - 20 minutes.
4. Next, pour in the tomatoes & bell pepper paste mixture we blended earlier. Let it cook for another 10 minutes. Then add in all the seasonings (chicken cube, thyme, curry powder, bay leaf, and salt). Let it cook for another 8 - 10 minutes.
5. Pour in water and let it boil for awhile. Then add in the washed rice.
6. Pour in a bit more water just to cover up the rice and cover the pan until it is cooked. It will be done in 25 - 30 minutes.
7. While waiting for the Jollof rice, let's cook our beef & vegetables. Heat up cooking pan and put in butter until melted. Then, add in onions and spring onion. Let it cook until golden brown.
8. Then add in sliced beef. Let it cook under medium heat for 10 - 12 minutes. Then add in the red and green bell pepper. Continue to cook for another 8 - 10 minutes.
9. Next, add in carrots, long bean and green peas. Cook under medium heat for another 8 - 10 minutes. Done!
10. Once the Jollof rice is done, pour the beef & vegetables dish inside the rice cooker pan and mix it with the rice until combined. Cover the rice cooker and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
The iconic Jollof rice is done! Very simple right? This is my first time making Jollof rice. I would say the taste is very unique and strong, taste a bit like tomato rice (South Indian dish) but more tangy and super! My whole family love it including the kids! Very healthy, simple and yummy rice all in one pot! 😋