Merida's Spell Cake from BRAVE! | Walt Disney
Brave (2012 film): In Medieval Scotland, Princess Merida of the clan Dunbroch is to be betrothed to the son of one of her father's allies. Merida's mother, Queen Elinor explains that failure to consent to the betrothal could harm Dunbroch, reminding Merida of a legend of a prince whose pride and refusal to follow his father's wishes destroyed his kingdom. After a heated argument and disagreement with Queen Elinor, Merida runs away into the forest. Suddenly a wisps appear, leading her to the hut of an elderly witch. Merida bargains for a spell to change her fate, and the witch gives her an enchanted cake; the "Spell Cake". Merida return back to the castle and gives her mother, Queen Elinor the cake, it transforms her into a bear, unable to speak but still retaining most of her human consciousness. Merida returns to the witch's cottage with Queen Elinor, only to find it deserted, and discovers a message from the witch: unless Merida is able to "mend the bond torn by pride" before the second sunrise, the spell will become permanent.
PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour
1/4 cups sugar
1 TSP salt
2/3 cups butter
5-inch round baking pan
ALMOND CREAM INGREDIENTS:
150g ground almond
1 TSP baking powder
ALMOND + BERRY CREAM INGREDIENTS:
1 TBS almond cream
Red food colouring
1. Let's first make the pie dough. In a bowl, add flour, salt and sugar. Mix until combined.
2. Next, add in butter and mix until incorporated.
3. Pour in cold water and knead until it form into a ball shape.
4. Wrap the dough with a plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
5. While waiting for the dough, let's make the almond cream. In a bowl, add in butter and sugar. Mix until incorporated. Then add in egg and salt.
6. Mix until combined. Next, add in ground almond, flour and baking powder.
7. Mix the ingredients until incorporated. Finally, pour in some almond extract. Almond cream is done! Set aside. Very simple, right?
8. Next, we are going to make the almond + berry cream. Take 1 tablespoon of the almond cream in a small bowl and add in some berry jam. Mix until combined. You can add in some red food coloring to enhance the color.
9. Transfer the cream into a half circle mould and keep in the freezer for 30 minutes.
10. I use 5-inch round baking pan. Spread some butter and flour on it and set aside.
11. Take out the dough we prepared earlier from the fridge and place it on a kneading board. Sprinkle some flour on the board.
12. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough and cut out 1/3 from the dough. Set aside.
13. Cut a round section out from the dough (5 inch diameter) and place it in a fridge for 30 minutes. This is for the top part of the pie.
14. Flatten out the remaining dough and place it on the baking pan. Press it with your fingers and remove the excess off and then flatten the dough all around the edges of the baking pan.
15. Then cut off all the remaining excess dough. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
16. Roll out the remaining dough and cut thin stripes of the dough.
17. Prepare 3 stripes of dough and make a braids.
18. This braids is use to decorate the top of the cake later. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes. At this point, heat your oven 180°C.
19. 30 minutes later, take out the pie crust from the fridge and fill the pie with the almond cream. Create a circle in the middle.
20. Put in the almond + berry cream in the middle and carefully cover it with the remaining cream.
21. Take out the round dough from the fridge. Brush the edge of the pie with water and stick the top part with the round dough.
22. Slice "x" on the center of the pie and brush the edges of the pie with water before sticking the braids on top.
23. Place the braids on top and bake it for 60 - 80 minutes, 180°C.
24. When it start turning brown, take out from the oven and transfer it to a plate.
25. Then, sprinkle the top with powdered sugar in the center.
26. Finally, make a red circle berry jam on top, in the middle. Merida's Spell Cake is done!
WARNING: This Spell Cake is a magical spell that takes the form of a small pastry. It has the ability to change one's fate if consumed 🤫