Kuetiaw? Kuetiau? or Koay Teow? | Gudetama Ver.
Kuetiaw? Kuetiau? or Koay Teow?: Malaysian people came out with various spelling for this dish! Some say kuetiaw, others will say wrong! It's Kuetiau! But guess what? The DBP (Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka) has finally rules an official spelling of our favorite noodle dish 🤣 The institute noted that the Bahasa Malaysia spelling for the fried noodle dish will be kuetiau goreng. Get it? Thank you DBP! Kuetiau goreng (fried kuetiau) is basically a stir fried flat rice noodle dish stir fry with fish cakes, beansprouts, chives, garlics, and some seasonings. People usually order "kuetiau goreng satu tak mau taugeh (beansprout)! HAHAHAHA OMG people what is wrong with taugeh (beansprout)? It's healthy and delish 🤣 In my home country, Malaysia you will find various version of kuetiau. There is kuetiau kungfu, char kuetiau, kuetiau basah, kuetiau ayam or kerang, etc! My favorite version is char kuetiau. "Char" (in Hokkien) means stir-fried.
Gudetama (ぐでたま): A cartoon character produced by the Japanese company, Sanrio. The name "Gudetama" combines the Japanase phrase "gude gude" means lazy with "tama" a shortened form of "tamago" means egg so basically Gudetama = "lazy egg" 😂🍳. Gudatama is a cartoon egg yolk that feels existence is almost unbearable. It always shivers with sadness LMAO HAHAHA
MAIN INGREDIENTS (2 px):
1 pack Kuetiaw noodle (flat rice noodle)
2 pcs fish cake (cut in bite size)
1 cup beansprout (you can omit this if you want haha)
1 pack firm tofu (cut in cubes)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 TBS sweet soy sauce
1 TBS light soy sauce
1 TSP sugar
1 TSP white pepper
1 TBS water
GUDETAMA EGG INGREDIENTS:
Seaweed (for the "lazy" emoji)
1. Heat up cooking oil in a pan and stir fry firm tofu 3 minutes each side until it turns golden brown. Set aside.
2. Mix and stir all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Now, let's cook the iconic Char Kuetiau! Stir fry minced garlic until it turns golden brown and add in fish cake. Stir fry for 3 minutes.
4. Then add in chives and continue to stir fry for another 2 minutes. Add in the kuetiau noodle. Mix everything until incorporated.
5. Add an egg and stir fry for another 2 minutes. Next, pour the sauce in and continue to stir fry until everything is combined.
6. Then, add in beansprout. You can omit this if you don't like it but frankly speaking, beansprout is important as it will enhance the smell and taste of the noodle. Finally add in the fried tofu. Mix everything until incorporated. Char Kuetiau is done!
7. Let's now make Gudetama egg. Fry a sunny side up egg in a skillet for a good 2 - 3 minutes then cut some seaweed to create the Gudetama emoji. Carefully place it on the yolk.
Our Char Kuetiaw (Gudetama Version) is done!