Kiki's Pancakes (Kiki Delivery Service | 魔女の宅急便) - Ghibli Food Inspired 🥞
Kiki Delivery Service | 魔女の宅急便 (1989) : A story about a young witch named Kiki, on her mandatory year of independent life, finds fitting into a new community difficult while she supports herself by running an air courier service. It is a 1989 Japanese animated film written, produced, and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, adapted from the 1985 novel by Eiko Kadono. According to Miyazaki, the movie portrays the gulf between independence and reliance in teenage Japanese girls.
Kiki’s Delivery Service is one of my all-time favorites. There’s just something about that plucky little witch striking out on her own that captured my heart and never let it go.
When I watch the scene where Kiki ate some pancakes and sausage for breakfast, at first I thought that was a soufflé omelet or something 😂 This is my first time making Japanese style pancake and it is very simple the easiest I've ever made! Compare to Western pancake, this pancake are sweeter and have a more delicate crumb. Be prepared to adjust the burner heat and cook time to suit your stove and I recommend making a double batch so you can afford to burn a couple as you figure out what suits your stove best.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 TSP baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
2 TBS oil
1/2 cup milk
2 pcs cherry tomatoes
1 cube butter
1. Let's first make the pancake. Mix egg and sugar together in a bowl. Then, add in salt, oil, and milk. Mix everything until incorporated.
2. Then, add in sifted flour and baking powder.
3. Mix until combined. Set aside.
4. For, the hotdog, cook under medium heat until it turns golden brown. Set aside.
5. Spray some cooking oil on the pan and gently pour half of the pancake batter on it. Cook under low to medium low heat.
6. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until small bubbles form on top and the bottom is light golden brown about 1 - 2 minutes.
7. Remove lid and carefully fold the pancake. Transfer the pancake to a serving plate with the sausage and cherry tomatoes.
8. For the pancake toppings, place a cube of butter on top and spread some honey syrup on it. Kiki's pancake is done! Enjoy your breakfast!
To be honest, I was so surprise with this Japanese style pancake, the texture is quite crunchy on the outside but super soft and fluffy in the inside. So yummy! From now on I will only make Japanese style pancake for breakfast! 😂