Cream Stew | "The Secret World of Arrietty" (借りぐらしのアリエッティ) - Studio Ghibli Food Inspired
The Secret World of Arriety (2009): A story of Arrietty, a young Borrower who lives under the floorboards of a typical household. She eventually befriends Sho, a human boy with a heart condition, who is living with Sadako (Sho's great aunt). When Haru (Sadako's maid) becomes suspicious of the floorboard's disturbance, Arrietty and her family must escape detection, even if it means leaving their beloved home.
"I want to talk to you."
"Humans are dangerous."
"If we're seen, we have to leave. My parents said so."
"You have a family? I envy you."
"Don't you have one?"
"Yes, but I practically never see my father. Mother is so busy at work, she barely has time for me."
"My name's Sho. What's your name? Do you have one?"
"Of course I have a name! It's Arrietty."
Cream Stew/ White Stew is a typical Yoshoku dish (Western influenced cooking in Japan) consisting of chicken meat, mixed vegetables; broccoli, carrot, potato, etc cooked in thick white roux. When I first heard of "cream stew" I have to admit that I wasn't really enthusiastic about trying it. A stew made with milk? Eww.. But I gave it a try anyway for the fun of it! Guess what? The stew turn out to be unexpectedly delicious and comforting! It wasn't overly creamy, it was satisfying and hearty ❤️
MAIN STEW INGREDIENTS (for 2 px):
1 chicken thigh (cut in bite pieces)
1/2 TSP salt
1/2 TSP black pepper
1 TBS olive oil
1 TBS unsalted butter
1/2 yellow onion (cut in dice)
3 pcs long bean
4 pcs Shitake mushroom
1 cup chicken broth
3 TBS unsalted butter
3 TBS all purpose flour
1/8 TSP white pepper
1/8 TSP black pepper
1/2 TSP salt
1 cup milk
1. Put the chicken meat in a bowl and add in salt and pepper. Mix until combined. Let it marinade for awhile. Set aside.
2. Cook the broccoli in the boiling water for 5 - 8 minutes. Sieve the water from the broccoli and set aside.
3. Let's first make the white roux. Put a butter in a pan and when it started to melt, put in the flour. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
4. Then, pour in milk, salt, white pepper and black pepper. Stir until thicken. Set aside.
5. Now, let's make our cream stew. In a pan, put in butter and oil together and fry the marinated chicken until golden brown. Then add in mushroom. Continue to fry for another 5 minutes.
6. Add in yellow onion and long bean vegetable and for for another 3 - 4 minutes.
7. Next, add in potatoes and carrots. For for 3 minutes. Then pour in the chicken broth.
Let it boil.
8. Next, pour in the white roux. Stir and let it cook for 5 - 8 minutes.
9. Once the potatoes is softened, add in the cooked broccoli. Cook for another 3 minutes.
Cream stew is done! Super simple and easy!