Chicken Satay + Ketupat CAKE?
Updated: Jul 6, 2021
Satay: A popular BBQ dish found everywhere in Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. It's origin has been widely agreed to be the Indonesian island of Java. Satay is a meat dish that is marinated, skewed, grilled and served commonly with peanut sauce.
Ketupat: Made from rice that has been wrapped in a woven palm leaf pouch and boiled. As the rice cooks, the grains expand to fill the pouch and the rice becomes compressed. The earliest connection of ketupat with Islamic lebaran tradition is believed to be originated in 15th-century Sultanate of Demak.
CHICKEN SATAY INGREDIENTS:
2kg boneless chicken (cut in cubes)
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 TBS soy sauce
3 TSP curry powder
2 TSP turmeric powder
2 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS fish sauce
2 TBS vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 TBS ginger (grated)
Salt & pepper to taste
KETUPAT (MINI RICE CUBE):
Store-bought mini ketupat rice (35 packs)
PEANUT GRAVY (KUAH KACANG):
Store-bought peanut gravy (280g)
3 medium size tomatoes
1 pcs Japanese cucumber
CAKE ASSEMBLY MATERIAL:
Round cake pan (I use 6-inch round pan)
Bamboo leaves string
1. Boil water in a big pot and add in some salt. Take out the mini rice cube from packaging. Keep half of the rice cube if you don't plan to finish up everything.
2. Put the rice cube in the boiling water and let it boil under medium-heat for around 60 minutes.
3. After 60 minutes, take out the ketupat (rice cube), set aside and let it cool down for at least 2 hours. After it cool down, take out the rice cube from the plastic and cut into 4 pieces.
3. Next, let's prepare the chicken satay. For the marinade sauce, mix coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder, turmeric powder, brown sugar, fish sauce, vegetable oil, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper together until combined.
4. Put the boneless chicken in a big bowl and pour the marinade mixture and mix until incorporated. Set aside to be marinade for at least 2 hours (best to marinade overnight).
5. When ready, thread 3 - 4 pieces of the chicken meat onto the bamboo skewers.
6. Grill the chicken satay skewers for 2 - 3 minutes on each side until the meat is fully cooked and the surface is nicely charred, on both sides. Brush or spray with some oil while grilling.
7. Our chicken satay is done! Drain the chicken satay on paper towels for a minute or two. The towels will absorb any exterior oil that may still be clinging to the chicken satay.
8. Next, the peanut gravy. I wanted to make this myself but am excited to try the canned peanut gravy which I bought from Lotus last week 🤣 I know this sounds silly LOL this is my first encounter with peanut gravy packed in a steel can, yo! *excited*
9. Heat up the peanut gravy on a pan under medium-heat for 3 - 5 minutes and that's it! All done! So convenient 😍
10. Now, let's proceed to the decoration. First, the flower shape cucumber. wash the cucumbers well and trim off both ends. Then get a sharp knife and thinly slice the cucumber.
11. Stack up 4 pieces of sliced cucumber and roll it side ways until it create a petal form.
12. Take one of the sliced cucumber and cut "+" shape in the middle. Insert the petal form cucumber into the "+" shape.
13. lastly, cut the bottom part of the petal form cucumber. Done!
14. Secondly, tomato rose. Turn the tomato upside down and cut a strip of the skin across the bottom. Keep the knife blade just under the skin of the tomato and be sure not to cut through the peel completely, as the end goal is one continuous peel from the entire tomato. While cutting, slowly turn the tomato and without detaching the base, begin peeling the tomato in a single strip, about 1/2" wide, in the same manner you would peel an apple.
15. Finally cut the skin from the tomato. The skin should be in a single piece with a wide end and a narrow end. Using your fingertips, begin rolling the rose, keeping it tight and curling it around itself and we're done!
Simple yet beautiful decoration 🌼🌸❀✿
16. Now, get a round cake pan and put the ketupat (rice cubes) inside.
17. Next, tie bamboo leaves string around the pan and leave some gap to insert the chicken satay. Before inserting the chicken satay, place the pan on a cake stand or a big plate.
18. Place the remaining ketupat (rice cube) on top to fill up the top part of cake pan.
19. Decorate it with the petal-form tomatoes and cucumbers. All done! Enjoy your chicken satay with ketupat! 😍
A cute friend of mine suggested me to make "nasi lemak" cake / sushi cake next! 🤣 Time to go get some ingredients 😍